Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Tree Skirt

Okay, so don't ask me what this blog is, because I don't know. ha
I guess it's a conglomeration of anything that interests me. 

...On that note, here is a Christmas tree skirt I made today. I found the idea on  Joy Ever After (which is awesome, btw!), and had to try it out, especially since our poor tree has been crying out for one. Well, it's been crying out for more than just a skirt... We left all of our Christmas decor in WA, so having to start all over on an extremely limited budget, forces me to do projects like, well, this. Which is not a bad thing! I've had a lot of fun being more crafty than ever this past year. :)

So, without further ado, I bring you my post on how I made a tree skirt from window curtains (feel free to  now hit your browser's back button to go back to whatever it was you were doing ;)

I found 4 of these window curtains at Salvation army for I think about 20 cents each 6 or 7 months ago. I loved the texture of the fabric, the ruffled bottom, and the crocheted trim. I knew I could do *something* with them! So they have been sitting in the bottom of my fabric drawer since then, just waiting for a project deemed worthy to come along. (Although I did take the crochet trim off 2 of the panels to embellish a shirt for my sister. Those panels are at the back of the skirt, and is not even noticeable that they are MIA)
 I cut each panel in half, and made a petal shape out of newspaper. Then I folded each cut panel in half, and cut along the one side of the pattern. I also didn't end up using the bottom part of the pattern, I made it so the widest part of the pattern stopped right above the ruffling.
Sewed right sides together (I wanted it to look more finished than Joy Ever After's)

 And, there you have it! Finished tree skirt. I love love love it! And extremely easy, too. Yay!

1 comment:

Amanda Joy said...

Oh it's beautiful! I love how you used the curtains, and the ruffle.

Thanks for linking!